Leading up to the Brits 2011, British pro skier Becky Hammond is spending some time in the European freestyle mecca Laax and because life is great she decided to share some insider tips exclusively with you guys.
- Check avalanche risk before you head out.
- Make sure everyone you’re skiing with has an avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel and knows how to use it.
- Wear body protection; head, bum and back.
- Take water, snacks and a mobile phone.
- Make sure you have the number for the local heli rescue team.
- When you get back off the hill, make sure you’ve got warm boots and clothes to snuggle up in whilst recounting the day’s skiing action with your friends!
Cushe Apres Ski Guide
I love the Noodle bar at The Rocks and Little China in Flims and both places do great takeaways, and you’re looking for a late night snack Films also has a kebab café! If you’re on the mountain then Café No Name serves good Paninis or if you’re on more of a budget then you can eat your pack lunch downstairs.
For cool apartments in an excellent location stay in The Rocks - you can’t get closer to the slopes and you even have your own steam room in your apartment! If you’re on a budget then the Capricorn Hostel is nice and you can book bunk rooms or have a private twin room with an en-suite.
On the Mountain try the Café No Name, it’s a great location and you can watch all the park action with a drink. For Apres ski action the Crap Bar and Indy Bar are great.
I really like Flims, the supermarket called COOP is great and there’s plenty of great clothes shops. if you’re travelling with a car there are supermarkets down the valley in Llanz, which is about a 10 minute drive away.
The local buses are free around Laax and Flims and getting to Laax from Zurich airport is easy; use the local rail network, its always on time!
Top Tunes for the slopes
Paper Planes by M.I.A
Young Forever by Jay-Z Feat Mr Hudson
Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun
Fireflies by Owl City
Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap