Are you the Next Girl DJ?
Next Girl DJ, a new pan-European contest that aims to discover the hottest girl DJ around and propel her into dance music stardom launches today.
Audio giants JBL and leaders in sport and lifestyle, Roxy are two credible brands synonymous with music and female culture, and are the brains behind this aspirational contest.
The contest will be facilitated on the world’s leading mix sharing platform www.letsmix.com
Next Girl DJ will provide one girl DJ with a life-changing opportunity (not to mention heaps of prizes) whilst changing the face of dance music history in the process - in the recent DJ Top 100, only one woman was represented. Thanks to JBL, Roxy and you, all this is about to change.
This contest is not about slinging male talent to one side, but about providing a space for girls to showcase their skills. More females are needed to exhibit their talent in what is, still, a male dominated environment.
So are you passionate, ambitious and know how to throw down some tunes? Then what are you waiting for?
Here’s how it works. The competition opens today and is open to any girl in Europe over the age of 18. 1) Entrants are asked to upload their mix to www.nextgirldj.com, using the mp3 upload function or Letsmix editor, to be voted on by a community of dance music lovers. The length of the mix should be around 30 minutes, but no restriction will be placed on the style of music. The contest will run online for two months and public voting will stop on 16th April.
2) Five girls will then be selected from each location to go through to the semi-finals in the four music capitals of Europe - London, Paris, Brussels and Berlin.
3) The grand final will see the four local country winners go back online to upload a beach-themed mix at www.nextgirldj.com
4) One winning girl will be announced, from public and expert panel voting, as the Next Girl DJ and will go on to play their mix at the Roxy Jam in Biarritz in July, win a year’s contract with Roxy to produce music, and a whole host of other prizes including a special customised Next Girl DJ surfboard, a Pacemaker device and stylish JBL and Roxy products. They will also appear on German DJ Anja Schneider’s radio show in Berlin.
Contestants will get the unique opportunity to learn from the expert judging panel containing some of the industry’s most influential and inspirational females - Anja Schneider, Noura Labbani (Beatport), Caroline Hayes (Spun Out) and Fanny (kill the DJ) are all involved, amongst others. Next Girl DJ judge, Anja Schneider said: "I was really shocked to see so few female DJs featured in the annual Top 100 DJ chart in DJ Magazine this year. This is crazy because I know that there are so many talented women DJ’s out there. I think some women are holding back too much and perhaps waiting for other people to push them, when really they should support each other and do it themselves. I hope this competition will be a good incentive for girl DJ’s to show the world what they can do!"
Next Girl DJ GERMAN Semi-Final Event WHERE: HORST, BERLIN WHEN: 8.00pm till late on 27th May Watch this space for announcements.
Inclusion in the Next Girl DJ contest requires you to be European and over 18. Only one 30 minute mix per Letsmix.com member may enter the contest. All styles of music are welcome! For further information please see the Next Girl DJ Terms & Conditions.
Next Girl DJ partners Roxy, JBL and letsmix.com have conjured up some magic prizes for the talented winner:
· A one-off special DJ set at 2010 Longboard World Championship 1 year contract with Roxy to produce clips for European BoardRiders TV and 1 hour "Instore mix"
· Full profile focus on roxy.com A customized Next Girl DJ surfboard
· Pacemaker device
· JBL and Roxy products
· Radio show appearance and other pr and promotion
· DJ spot at a ‘Secret’ festival date