Europe’s biggest freestyle snowboarding amateur contest series, the Burton AM Tour just finished its second season. The Slopestyle contest series stopped in 15 resorts in 15 different European countries. Of 688 riders in total, Tim Kevin Ravnjak (10) of Velenje, Slovenia, and Marthe Nordahl (17) of Hilversum, Netherlands, came in first in the overall tour ranking. They took home an engraved Nixon watch and a Burton European Open 2008 package (consisting of a reserved starting slot for the slopestyle contest, and fees, board and lodging).
Riders of 24 different nationalities in total battled at each stop for prizes from tour sponsor Nixon and Burton, RED and Anon. Riders aged 16 or older also collected points for the Ticket to Ride (TTR) World Tour. The Burton AM Tour started in October in Les 2 Alpes in France and ended in April in Hemsedal, Norway. During that time the tour crew travelled 25.000 kilometres. It had to deal with bad weather, fought sneaky burglars, and definitely earned a degree in customs regulations. Despite poor snow conditions for most of the season, only three stops had to be cancelled. At all other stops the AM Tour crew and the local resorts managed to create the best possible conditions.
Highlights included the Bialka Tatrzanska stop in Poland with 80 riders present, and the stop in Finnish Talma, with bluebird weather conditions and an incredible level of riding. At all stops the spirit among the riders was great, and the kids were always stoked about the professionalism of and friendliness at the contests.
This is what Ivar Fougstedt, Burton European Marketing Director, has to say: “The Burton AM Tour is the only amateur contest series on a truly pan-European scale. It proved once again to be the best opportunity for young riders to push their level of snowboarding while experiencing the unique atmosphere of a snowboarding contest.”
Thanks again to tour sponsor Nixon for the support throughout the season. Next winter the Burton AM Tour will return and it will be even bigger. Watch out for the updated contest format and the new tour calendar this fall!
AM TOUR 06/07 FINAL RESULTS – Top 15 Girls
- 1. Nordahl Marthe / Hilversum / NOR / 444 p.
- 2. Podgorna Anna / Innsbruck / POL / 292 p.
- 3. Weber Stéphanie / Uitikon / SUI / 165 p.
- 4. Van der Pouw Britte / Zoetermeer / NED / 100 p.
- 5. Bonnaud Alicia / La Ciotat / FRA / 100 p.
- 6. Berry Laura / Milton Keynes / GBR / 100 p.
- 7. Borisova Monika / Sofia / BUL / 100 p.
- 8. Züst Sarah / Horgen / SUI / 100 p.
- 9. Kwiecien Katarzyna / Tychy / POL / 100 p.
- 10. Zarina Zane / Riga / LAT / 100 p.
- 11. Hinnobert Sandra / Otepää / EST / 100 p.
- 12. Laukkanen Ruut / Sajaniemi / FIN / 100 p.
- 13. Sandström Mimmi / Malung / SWE / 100 p.
- 14. Haug Linn / NOR / 100 p.
- 15. Hetzenauer Dees / Halsteren / NED / 92 p.