With skiing season upon us, LA Fitness is keen to ensure that aches and pains don’t ruin your skiing holiday. The danger time for skiers is 4pm on the 3rd day of holiday – this is when injury is most likely to occur . By this time, skiers have used unaccustomed muscles for three days and have become confident but are physically tired, and capability isn’t necessarily matched to confidence.
To help you get ready for your ski trip, throughout December LA Fitness is offering special ski taster membership ‘£30 for 30 days’. This includes a free 20-minute one-on-one ski training consultation from a personal trainer to get you on top form for your time away.
Ros Saunderson, LA’s Fitness Co-ordinator, has devised these top tips to make sure you make the most of the skiing and après ski that your resort has to offer:
• Ready, steady, go – Get moving at least six weeks before your holiday and you will notice a big difference. An aerobic or dance based studio class or a workout in the gym itself will leave you feeling energised and, over time, will build up your stamina for the slopes
• Perfect pins – Lunges, squats and cycling are excellent for teasing the right muscles for getting your ‘ski legs’ in shape
• A little and often – Running, cycling, stepping or rowing for twenty minutes three times a week will help build up your aerobic fitness
• Energy Burst – Interval training with short bursts of activity followed by a rest and then repeated can prepare you for demanding physical exercise at high altitudes by increasing your all-round fitness
• Fed and watered: Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and avoid alcohol and caffeine. Eat a hearty breakfast so you have enough energy to hit the slopes first thing
• Know your limits: Never venture on to slopes that are too sleep and difficult for you. This could shatter your confidence or even result in grave injury
• White out: Carry a pair of ski goggles on you all times in case the weather takes a turn for the worse and visibility gets poor
• Sun seekers: For all those who love to top up their tan whilst on holiday, make sure to be worship the sun safely. Use a high protection sun cream on parts of the body and face exposed to the sun (no lower than SP Factor 15)
These easy to follow fitness tips will ensure you are ready for any challenge your ski holiday may bring. You will be skiing at your best all day with enough energy and oomph left to enjoy the après ski your resort has to offer.