Need some time out of the sun? Why not brighten up your living room with an asian inspired Origami Mobile!
Words by Helen Lovelee, photos by Sam Ashley
You will need:
* Square origami paper in different sizes, colours and patterns
* Clear display wire (fishing wire is good)
* 3 x dowels (for horizontal frame)
* Clear disposable plastic container
* Sewing needle with large eye
* a small hacksaw
* Stanley knife
2. Make nine origami cranes.
3. Cut three dowels: 36cm, 24cm and 12cm.
4. Lay out the dowels with the longest at the top and the shortest at the bottom, each spaced 20cm apart. run a length of clear wire down the centre attaching it to each dowel with a knot, then attach one large crane 20cm below the bottom dowel by threading the end of the wire through a sewing needle and poking the needle through the top of the crane in the middle to the underside. to stop the wire slipping back through the crane, make a hole in a small square of plastic cut from a disposable plastic container, and tie the string through the hole.
5. Attach the rest of the cranes by knotting one end of clear wire to a dowel and threading the wire through the crane as above.Getting your mobile to sit straight is about the weight on each side of the centre being balanced. Play around with the position of the cranes to achieve this.
6. Cut off loose ends and use a length of clear wire, thread or wool to hang your finished mobile.