Looking for something pocket-sized that will give you that extra boost of energy while you’re out surfing, snowboarding or climbing?
If you are anything like me, you can’t survive a morning shredding without a mid-morning snack.
These no-bake chocolate peanut energy balls are so quick and easy to make – plus they are way healthier for you and cheaper than the processed snacks you get in supermarkets.
Here is how you make them….
Makes approximately 10 to 12 balls
- 1 bowl of rolled oats
- 2/3 of bowl of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 a bowl of organic peanut butter
- 1/2 a bowl of dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 of a bowl of honey
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Make sure the texture is not too dry or runny, otherwise the balls won’t be able to stick.
Let the mixture cool in the fridge for half an hour. Roll the mixture into balls in the palm of your hand. Pop a couple in tin foil, shove in your backpack ready to enjoy later!
What are the health benefits?
- Peanut butter is a great form of quick energy and provides us with all the good fats needed for a healthy diet. Choosing natural peanut butter may be pricier but it is the best option, as it contains no added palm oil or sweeteners.
- Oats have been proven to lower cholesterol and high blood pressure and are a great source of fibre, iron, phosphorus and selenium.
- Coconut flakes are there for the flavour but also provide the body with zinc, protein, fibre and iron.
- Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that function as antioxidants and improves blood flow and helps to lower blood pressure.
- Honey contains antioxidants and anti-bacterial qualities, and works wonders for people who suffer with hayfever (works best when sourced from your local area).