If you’ve been over-doing it on the mulled wine and mince pies this festive season, and your bloated belly is looking more santa than six-pack, we have just the solution. We’ve hunted out the latest detoxing aids on the market to help you flush out those toxins, give you a new lease of energy and boost your immune system.
1. Champneys Detox & Cleanse Supplement contains a specially selected blend of nutrients to support the body’s cleansing and detoxification process. The liver is the main organ in the body responsible for detoxification, so the Champneys supplements provide all the nutrients the liver needs to eliminate nasties from the body. Containing riboflavin, methionine, biotin, beta sitosterol, choline and inositol, it certainly beats a dose of cod liver oil to get your body feeling back on track.
2. Zap pesky free radicals this New Year with a delicious, antioxidant-packed bottle of Naked Juice smoothie. Just landed from the US, each 450ml bottle of this yum smoothie contains bundles of fruit and veggies, providing a huge hit of vitamins A, C and E. They’re also jam-packed with health-boosting antioxidants, which fight off the free radicals that damage the body and promote disease. We love the Green Machine with broccoli, spinach, bluegreen algae, spirulina seaweed, wheatgrass and echinacea – it may sound horrid, but actually tastes great and gives you a much-needed energy boost on a cold January morning.
3. Just launched in the UK, the Detox and Spa Set by BodyTox works physically to boost your well-being while also calming the mind. The kit contains detox foot patches containing tourmaline which create negative ions that calm the mind. Simply pop them on the soles of your feet overnight and the slight warming effect draws out toxins and impurities. The Detox and Spa Set also contains green tea confetti leaves for the bath and cosy reflexology slippers which can help you to detoxify and relax. A proper pampering treat!
4. When you’re feeling bloated, it’s hard to work out if it’s excess weight or excess water forcing up the numbers on the scales. Aquaflow from HealthAid is a new natural supplement that works with your body to maintain your optimum water balance. Using an original herbal combination first used in ancient Europe, the herbal extracts provide detoxifying and cleansing properties, working to neutralise and remove toxins and excess water from the body. Key herbs include Dandelion, Bladderwack, Buchu and Clivers that act on specific organs such as the kidneys, liver, colon and lymphatic system.
£6.99 for 60; www.healthaid.co.uk
5. Leayah Beauty Tea is a pure, premium tea and a modern beauty beverage. Each of the six aromatic blends contains a special blend of ingredients to tackle any complaint, from Nighty Night with lemongrass and chamomile to aid sleep, to Fresh Faced – an Arabian mint tea that provides you with added zing in the morning. A cup a day of Leayah’s tea will leave you with a good daily dosage of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals – not to mention a thoroughly tasty brew! We love the skinny mini pu-erh tea; it might taste full bodied but it makes you feel just the opposite after having a mug.
6. Nutrition Now Anti-Toxin 7 Supplement is the perfect solution if you’re on a speedy January detox. This 7-day intensive detoxification kit contains seven packets of powder containing fibres and tree barks to cleanse the whole of the gut. It rids the digestive system of mucoid plaque, a thick brown substance that sticks to the walls of the intestines, preventing the absorption of nutrients and boosting the production of unwanted bacteria. The Anti-Toxin 7 kit also contains tablets of dandelion, milk thistle and cleansing harbs to detoxify the liver, kidneys and spleen.
7. To prevent illness from ruining your New Year, opt for optimum nutrition with a box of Detox Sprinkle. This tasty mix of brazil nuts, Goji berries, dried apricots and dates helps to provide you with essential vitamins and minerals and can easily be added to your breakfast cereal to give you a daily detox boost. The mix is packed with powerful antioxidant Selenium, which stimulates the immune system and has been proven to protect against heart disease and cancers, while also slowing down the ageing process. It’s also a superb source of vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, and E; contains 18 amino acids, 21 trace minerals, linoleic acid and more beta carotene than a bag of carrots. Phew!
£2.49 for 250g; www.hollandandbarrett.com
8. Health food gurus Holland & Barrett have developed their new Bio-Cleanse Supplement containing chicory, nettle and dandelion root, which are reported to help cleanse your body of toxins. Chicory stimulates the liver by increasing gastric and bile secretions; nettle has detoxifying and diuretic properties; dandelion has a long history in treating digestive problems including indigestion, heartburn and constipation and all stimulate the flow of bile to aid toxin elimination. Get it on your shopping list quick!
£17.95 for 90 capsules; www.hollandandbarrett.com
Other recommendations for a successful detox are:
• Drink eight large glasses of water every day.
• Use a dry skin brush before your morning shower – use long, firm upward strokes to boost circulation.
• Cut out red meats, fatty foods, sugary snacks, caffeine and alcohol.
• Exercise moderately to increase toxin elimination.