Leading specialised outdoor clothing and equipment manufacturer The North Face, is launching a competition to find talented young skiers and help them kick-start their ski career with a North Face ski sponsorship.
The North Face Prodigy Ski Challenge will be held in Val Thorens, France from Dec 16-18th, 2006, during the 10th Boarder Week. Val Thorens in the heart of the famous ‘Trois Vallées’ is the highest ski resort in Europe, with unmatched capacities to welcome events and crowds. The event will be run over three days and sixty young riders from all over Europe who have qualified will be invited to attend.
Two winners from three age categories (12-13, 14-15 and 16-17) will win a prestigious two-year sponsorship contract with The North Face. The winners from each age category will also be invited to stay in Val Thorens until December 23rd to participate in their first ever pro competition, also taking place during the Val Thorens Boarder Week.
To enter, riders must send in a four-minute video of themselves skiing in different conditions such as park, powder, groomed slopes and jumps.
Aurelien Ducroz, Freeride Vice Champion on the ISFA Freeride World Tour comments: “I started skiing from a young age but didn’t get into freeride until I was 21 then The North Face gave me a great opportunity to be part of their global athlete team. They understand what drives us to discover new sensations and offer the support I need to further my freeride career.”
Jason Shutt, the UK’s leading freeride skier says: “Skiing has everything rolled into one – the challenge, the buzz, the achievements, the passion and friendships, all this while I’m living the dream and able to follow my passion.”
“The North Face Prodigy Ski Challenge is a great chance for young skiers to get the exposure and attention that they deserve, and win a cracking contract at the end of it,” says Keith Byrne, Sales and Marketing Manager for The North Face.
All the info, including more details about the event and how to apply are on the website.
How to apply
- o The challenge is open to all European citizens or residents, male or female.
- o Applicants must be at least 12 years of age on December 16th 2006 and no older than 18 on Dec 31st 2006.
- o The contest is open to European residents. All nationalities are accepted but the riders have to live in Europe.
- o Limits for Europe are geographical, meaning that all riders are welcome as long as they live between the west coast of France and The Ural Mountains in Russia and from the North Cape in Norway and Gibraltar in the south of Spain. Applicants from Turkey will have to be living on the west side of the Bosporus Straight, in continental Europe.
- o Applicants can request an application form by email from [email protected]. The form will have to be sent back along with 3 ID pictures.
- o All participants will be asked to send a 4 minute video of themselves skiing in different conditions such as park, powder, groomed runs, jumps, etc…
- o Each rider should be identifiable on the tape through use of close ups and portraits.
- o Applications are limited to one per person.
- o The formats accepted for the application are: video CD, DVD, DV tape, VHS tapes.
- o The deadline for applications is 30th November, 2006
- o 60 riders will be selected and invited to the event in Val Thorens. A reserve list of ten riders will also be selected in the event of any of the first 60 skiers being unable to attend.
- o The two winners in each age category will win a two year sponsorship contract with The North Face® and other event sponsors. They will be invited to stay in Val Thorens until December 23 to participate in their first ever pro competition, also taking place during the Val Thorens Boarder Week. Those coming third in each category will win gear.